Tanzania is one of the most diverse and famed safari destinations we offer. The country is home to a lifetime’s worth of off the beaten track explorations and many popular bucket-list safari destinations alike. Whichever you prefer, Tanzania covers both!
Home to Mount Kilimanjaro, the Serengeti, the Ngorongoro Crater, Zanzibar Island and the world’s largest annual wildebeest migration, Tanzania needs little introduction. It is on most first-time safari traveller’s list for good reason; it’s simply breathtaking and offers something for everyone! There is, however, much more to be discovered in Tanzania. After having seen the hotspots, it is entirely possible to escape the crowds, with a little effort and have vast tracts of the Tanzanian wilderness all to yourself.
We have divided Tanzania into 5 sections to make differentiation easier: Arusha, northern Tanzania, southern Tanzania, western Tanzania and Zanzibar & Mafia Islands. The normal tourist route incorporates just 3: the safaris either start or end in Zanzibar, then head over to Arusha and continue to safari through Northern Tanzania. This leaves southern and western Tanzania relatively undiscovered, and far less visited, by tourists.
But which sections are the best? Well, they all are! Mainly because they are so varied and each offers different attractions suited to different types of travellers. Please read more about the different locations below and what they have to offer you.
- Tanzania has a human population of 60 million comprised of a staggering 120 ethnic groups.
- It is the home of Mount Kilimanjaro, known as the roof of Africa.
- Tanzania has the largest concentration of wildlife per square kilometre of any country in Africa.
- The currency is the Tanzanian shilling.
Why we like it
- A staggering 30% of the country consists of protected wildlife areas.
- It is home to incredible biodiversity and stunning scenery.
- There are some very wild and remote locations in the southern and western regions.
- It is one of the best locations for photographic and walking safaris.
- Tanzania offers friendly and safe travel with tourism being of high importance here.
- There are stunning tropical islands on the East Coast.
Locations in Tanzania
When to go and seasons:
As Tanzania is close to the equator there can be some variations in weather, but typically it has 4 main seasons. It is considered an all-year destination, but the season you visit will greatly impact your experience, so be sure to choose the correct season for the experience you would like.
The ‘long rainy season’ (March, April & May)
This is when Tanzania receives the majority of its rainfall and is fairly consist every year. Safaris at this time of the year can become complicated as road conditions deteriorate and animals disperse from water sources. This is certainly not the ideal season to be on safari so be prepared to get a bit wet and muddy! In March the wildebeest are usually calving in the Southern Serengeti, around the Ndutu area, and although harsh, predator viewing is particularly incredible during this time.
The ‘short rainy season’ (November & December)
These rains are not as intense as the main rainy season and can be unpredictable and vary considerably from year to year. A safari at this time of the year can be enjoyable provided you don’t mind the chance of a little rain.
The ‘long dry season’ (June to October)
This is the peak season for tourism and Tanzania where rainfall is unusual, and days are normally clear and sunny. Keep in mind that temperatures vary depending on location and altitude. This is considered to be the best time for safari because animals start to congregate around water sources, making the viewing of iconic animals more predictable.
It is between August and September when the annual wildebeest migration starts to cross the Mara River. This event which is considered the ‘greatest show on earth’ and is high on many traveller’s bucket lists. In Tarangire National Park the Silale Swamp becomes a hotspot for incredible game viewing and so does the Ruaha River in Ruaha National Park where large lion prides hunt buffaloes along the riverbanks.
The ‘short dry season’ (January & February)
This is the period between the short and long rainy seasons and rain cannot be totally ruled out. It is, however, a great time of the year to travel. Many areas are still green from the short rains, so photographs are clear, crisp and will have vibrant colours. Birding is also at its peak as migratory birds have now arrived.
Only 25% of the Serengeti is used for most of the tourism that takes place there. That leaves 75% of the Serengeti’s wilderness waiting to be explored on multi-day walking safaris. We feel this is the perfect way to escape the crowds and experience this incredible destination.
Lets work together to create the safari of your dreams!