Africa on Foot Wilderness Trails is located in the Maseke Balule Game Reserve in the Greater Kruger, situated between Hoedpsruit and Phalaborwa in Limpopo Province. It is an 8000 hectare private game reserve, which shares open borders with the Kruger National Park. The Olifants River courses through the reserve, while prominent mountainous ridges and boulder koppies characterise the terrain, making it an incredibly diverse and interesting region to explore on foot.
Africa on Foot Wilderness Trails is a one-of-a-kind mobile safari experience in South Africa. A sister camp to Klaserie’s Africa on Foot, Wilderness Trails is designed to offer 3 nights camping in the Maseke Balule Game Reserve, each night in a different location.
Each day is spent walking through the 8000 hectare reserve in the Greater Kruger Park, and each night is spent at a new, fully set up mobile campsite in a scenic location in the wilderness. A maximum of 8 guests (sleeping in 4 tents) are taken on the Kruger walking adventure of a lifetime.
A professional Africa on Foot trained guide and tracker team will lead an informative, thrilling, and unforgettable walk in the wild. While guests are out exploring the Kruger on foot, a ground team will be taking down the first camp and setting up the next one in a new location. A packed brunch will be enjoyed in the bush, while snacks and refreshments will be on offer upon arrival at camp. Evening game drives complete the experience, before campfire dinners and bed in a canvas dome tent.
- Exclusive mobile safari in the Greater Kruger’s Maseke Balule Game Reserve
- 3 Nights camping in different locations, each day walking new ground
- 8000 Hectares of free-roaming Kruger traverse from mountainous terrain to Olifants River
- Canvas dome tents (each sleeping 2 people), individual bucket showers and chemical toilets
- Morning and afternoon walking trails, with brunch and siesta in the bush
- Evening game drives with sundowners in the Maseke Balule Reserve
- New campsite in a new location, set up prior to arrival, every afternoon
- Professional Trails Guide and Tracker conduct two walking trails per day
- Morning walk 3-4 hours, afternoon walk 2-3 hours, arrive at camp +-15h00
- Environmentally friendly, pack up and go safari camping experience
map and overview
A TYPICAL DAY AT AFRICA ON FOOT WILDERNESS TRAILS
Departure times for walking safaris depends on the weather and seasons. Summer time walks will depart earlier, while winter time departures will be later. A general summary of a day’s activity is as follows:
- 05h30 – Wake up to coffee and rusks, and kit up in walking gear
- 06h30 – Depart camp for 3-4 hour walking trail
- 10h30 – Stop for brunch and a siesta in the bush
- 12h30 – Continue on walking trail to next camp site
- 15h00 – Arrive at new camp site, enjoy a refreshment and some snacks while settling in
- 16h30 – Depart on evening game drive
- 19h00–Return to camp, enjoy refreshments around the fire before dinner is served
Throughout the year, we recommend packing lightweight, neutral-coloured clothing with short and long sleeves. Walking safaris will require good walking shoes, long trousers, and a suitable backpack to carry water and sun block, among other essentials. Guests should pack sun protection in the form of sun block, sun hats, and glasses, while scarfs, jackets and gloves are needed for evening game drives during winter months. Bring along cameras, binoculars and recording gadgets to keep a record of the many wildlife sightings. All camping gear will be provided, but guests should bring along a torch, insect repellent, or any other personal items that might be of interest in a camping environment.
The rustic camp features 4 Canvas dome tents each sleeping 2 people on swags/mattresses. Each tent has en suite bucket showers and chemical toilet facilities, standing hand basins renewed each morning and afternoon with warm water.
- 1 April 2023 – 30 November 2023
- R11 760.00 per person for the 3-night trail
- No single supplement applies.
- Children from age 12 years and over are accepted. Children under age 12 are not accepted.
- Rates are quoted in South African Rands and Rates are quoted per person sharing.
- Rates are subject to change without prior notice. Rates include government taxes where applicable. If taxes increase, we reserve the right to increase the rate accordingly.
- Conservation levies and Gate Fees are subject to change without prior notice in the event of the Private Nature Reserves amending or adding levies due to budgetary needs.
All meals, bottled water, bush walks & game drives, teas & coffee
All soft & alcoholic drinks. The Maseke Conservation levy of R450 per person per night & The Maseke Bed Levy of R100 per person per stay
- Mammals Some of the world’s largest mammals find their home in South Africa, where elephant, giraffe, hippo, buffalo, and rhino reside in the wild Kruger Park and surrounding private game reserves. Game drives lead to unforgettable sightings of these large species, in addition to general game, such as zebra, impala, kudu, gnu, waterbuck, bushbuck, duiker, and steenbok, while nyala are frequent visitors to the camp itself. Predators Following in the footsteps of the herbivorous mammals are the carnivorous species of the South African bush. Lion, leopard, hyena, cheetah, African wild dog, and the Nile crocodile are some of the prominent predators residing in the Kruger. Smaller predators include jackal, mongoose, civet, and genet, honey badger, among others. Birdlife The Kruger habitat accommodates a complete smorgasbord of birder’s delights. Water birds such as herons, storks, plovers, spoonbills, and sandpipers are common along dam edges; kingfishers, orioles, robins, chats, larks, cisticolas, and coucals are some of the veld and woodland birds around; while birds of prey are seen and heard throughout the day.
- Before travelling, guests are encouraged to consult their local doctors on anti-malarial medication and preparation, however a repellent stick or spray is effective and should be utilised.
Ready for an adventure? Lets Talk!
Contact SAFARI FRANK to get started on your safari of a lifetime!